SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A child playing with a lighter caused a fire at a one-story single-family home on Ambrose Street, leaving five people without a place to stay Monday afternoon.
Springfield Fire Department Captain Brian Tetreault said crews were called to a ranch style house located at 106 Ambrose St., where they found heavy fire on the front porch, extending into the house shortly after 1 p.m.
The fire was quickly put out and no one was hurt. It caused about $100,000 in damage. According to Captain Tetreault said the fire also caused $10,000 damage to a nearby home.
Two adults and three children are without a home and are being assisted by the local Red Cross.
The Springfield Arson and Bomb Squad determined the cause of the house fire.