WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – The Big E’s 17-day run in West Springfield came to an end Sunday closing a record-setting return for the fair amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Attendance numbers Saturday set an all-time, single-day record with 177,238 people that went through the gates. That broke the attendance record set on the second Saturday of the 2019 fair by almost 1,000.
Sunday was another big day at the fairgrounds with 118,582 visitors. In all, The Big E attracted 1,498,774 visitors over it’s three-week run.
Take a look at the daily tally for attendance each day in 2021.
- Friday, September 17, 2021: 80,993
- Saturday, September 18: 103,128
- Sunday, September 19: 83,211
- Monday, September 20: 57,257
- Tuesday, September 21: 56,769 (a record for the first Tuesday of the Fair.)
- Wednesday, September 22: 37,242
- Thursday, September 23: 37,604
- Friday, September 24: 46,923
- Saturday, September 25: 169,006
- Sunday, September 26: 136,512 (record attendance)
- Monday, September 27: 77,680
- Tuesday, September 28: 37,974
- Wednesday, September 29: 86,867
- Thursday, September 30: 77,961
- Friday, October 1: 113,827 (highest single day attendance for this day)
- Saturday, October 2: 177,238 (an all-time highest single day attendance on record.)
- Sunday, October 3: 118,582
Big E President Gene Cassidy told 22News how delighted he is with the number of people who came to the fair, “We were absolutely thrilled at the outcome of the fair, way beyond our expectations, the attitude of everyone was overwhelming, incredibly positive.”
There were more than 80 live bands throughout the 17 day fair, including Machine Gun Kelly with a sold out concert, Billy Idol, Zach Williams with Cory Asbury, Flo Rida with Ying Yang Twins, Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo, the Goo Goo Dolls, A Day to Remember, and STYX.
New vendors included, Emma’s, featuring Kora’s Cookie Dough on a Stick, Deep Fried Tacos, the Speakeasy by Stanley, Calabrese Market & Deli, and the All American Craft Beer Bar & Grill.
New foods included: the Bloody Mary Grilled Cheese, the Cider Bomb, Deep Fried Pineapple with Coconut Sauce, Potato and Corn Chomper dipped in roasted red pepper ranch, the Bacon Wrapped Dilly Dilly Dog, Angela’s Pickle Pizza, the White Hut Waffle Burger, and Bavarian Poutine.