Springfield has some of the dangerous intersections in Massachusetts, according to the MassDOT list of 200 top intersections for traffic accidents.
MassDOT released a list Wednesday of the “Top 200 Most Dangerous Intersections” and the Springfield X is one of them.
The intersection where Sumner Avenue meets Belmont Avenue and Dickinson Street is one of the sixteen MassDOT considers most dangerous intersections.
One Springfield resident who just moved to the area in January told 22News it took a while for her to get used to driving through that intersection.
“When I first encountered the X, I was confused,” said Jane Sleeper of Springfield. “It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense and it creates a whole lot of congestion and a lot of traffic.”
22News found out in May that West Springfield engineering firm Fuss and O’Neill has been working on a total redesign of the ”X” intersection. Fuss and O’Neill said the project could cost as much as $6 million and they hope to have it finished by 2022.
The top crash locations in western Massachusetts; Springfield, Holyoke, and Chicopee all made the list.
SPRINGFIELD – 16 intersections
- Sumner Avenue and Belmont Avenue
- Saint James Boulevard & Saint James Avenue
- Saint James Avenue and Carew Street
- Main Street and Plainfield Street
- Boston Road and Parker Street
- Boston Road and Pasco Road
- State Street and Saint James Avenue
- Boston Road and Covington Street
- Boston Road and Harvey Street
- State Street and Colonial Avenue
- E. Columbus Avenue and Union Street
- State Street and Benton Street
- Union Street and Walnut Street
- State Street and Spring Street
- Boston Road and Bay Street
- Berkshire Avenue and Cottage Street
- Main Street and Cabot Street
- High Street and Cabot Street
- Cherry Street and Soldiers Home Road
- Montgomery Street and Mckinstry Avenue
- Broadway and East Main Street
- Memorial Drive and Chicopee Marketplace