Three taken to hospital after fire at Chapin Center in Springfield

Hampden County

(Springfield Fire Department)

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Three people were taken to the hospital after a fire at the Chapin Center in Springfield Wednesday afternoon.

According to Springfield Fire Department Captain Brian Tetreault, the fire happened in a room on the fourth floor of the facility, which is located at 200 Kendall Street.

Tetreault said both occupants of the room were taken to the hospital– one for first and second degree burns and the other for smoke inhalation. An employee was also taken to the hospital for minor smoke inhalation.

The Springfield Arson & Bomb Squad determined the cause of the fire was from an occupant smoking while on oxygen.

The Chapin Center is a facility in Springfield that provides services to those transitioning from hospital to home.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Watch Live 7PM: Sunday Night Football

Trending Stories

Toys for Tots

More Toys for Tots