A fire at Wendy’s restaurant in Westfield caused several thousand dollars worth of damage Sunday night.
According to Westfield Deputy Fire Chief Seth Ellis, firefighters were called to the restaurant on Southampton Road at 11:30 p.m. for a report of a kitchen fire.
Ellis said when firefighters got to the restaurant, they could see flames from a vent on the roof.
The restaurant was evacuated before firefighters got the restaurant. Ellis said employees tried to put out the fire with a small, portable fire extinguisher but were unsuccessful.
Firefighters were able to put out the fire using the restaurant’s Class K extinguisher, which is designed for deep fryer fires, and several other dry chemical extinguishers.
The fire, which was caused by overheated oil in a deep fryer, caused around $15,000 worth of damage to a deep fryer and ductwork for the cooking hoods.
No injuries were reported.