West Springfield man catches on fire after outdoor fire pit explodes on Bosworth St.

Hampden County
West Springfield_1553633366643.JPG.jpg

A West Springfield man was taken to the hospital with serious injuries after a fire pit exploded in the Bosworth Street area of the city late Tuesday afternoon.

The West Springfield Fire Department told 22News the grill exploded, engulfing the man in flames on Bosworth St. Fire Chief Bill Flaherty said the man caught on fire after pouring ignitable liquid onto an outdoor fire pit.

The man was taken to Baystate Medical Center with second and third-degree burns on 60-percent of his body.

State Fire Marshal’s Office spokeswoman Jennifer Mieth confirmed with 22News that the man suffered burn injuries and that a fire investigator is en route to West Springfield to investigate.

Chief Flaherty said neighbors helped to put the fire out.

Police Lt. Ryan told 22News there is no danger to the public.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on WWLP.com | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today

WWLP Contests & Sweepstakes

Contests & Sweepstakes