Woman seriously burned, daughter injured after cooking fire in Ludlow

Hampden County

LUDLOW, Mass. (WWLP) – Two people were injured in a kitchen fire in Ludlow Sunday morning.  

According to Ludlow Fire Captain Richard Machardo, firefighters were called to 26 Lawton Street at 9:20 a.m. for a report of a fire.  

Machardo said the kitchen fire was already put out when firefighters and ambulances got to the home. 

A resident of the home was seriously burned when her clothing caught on fire while she was cooking, Machardo said. He also said the woman’s daughter was also injured after she tried to help her mother put out the fire.  

Both the woman and her daughter were taken to the hospital. The building was only damaged slightly by the fire.  

Ludlow Fire Chief Ryan Pease is now warning residents to know what to do if your clothing should ever catch on fire.  

“We wish these two a speedy recovery and remind people that when your clothing catches on fire the best thing to do is stop what you’re doing,” said Pease. “Drop gently to the ground, cover your face, and roll to put out the flames, no matter your age.”

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on WWLP.com | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today