EASTHAMPTON, Mass. (WWLP) – A house fire in Easthampton was caused by a short circuit in an electrical outlet on Tuesday.

At around 1:37 p.m., a passerby reported a house fire. According to the Easthampton Fire Department, the fire began on the first floor of the home, burning a hole in the exterior siding before emergency responders showed up.

The fire then continued up the outside of the building and burned a hole in the floor, which led to a fire inside the basement. Easthampton firefighters were able to contain the fire. After an investigation was completed, the cause of the fire seemed to be an accidental short circuit in an electrical outlet.

“At this time, our thoughts are with the family as they begin to recover from this event,” said Easthampton Fire Department.

To prevent arcs, sparks, or short circuits, Mass.gov indicates the following warning signs to look out for:

  • Frequently blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers
  • Dim or flickering lights, bulbs that wear out too fast
  • Overheated plugs, cords, or switches
  • Shock or mild tingle – more than normal static electricity
  • Loose outlets or unusually warm or faulty outlets or switches
  • Permanently using power strips or extension cords
  • Defeating the ground plug on appliances so they fit into a 2-prong outlet