One person hospitalized, twenty people homeless after Amherst fire

Hampshire County

One person is hospitalized and twenty people are without a place to live after a fire destroyed their home early Sunday morning.

Amherst Fire Chief Tim Nelson told 22News firefighters were called to an apartment fire at 285 Main Street around 3 a.m. for reports of fireworks being set off in an apartment.

Firefighters arrived at the building to find a fire on the third floor.

According to the Amherst Fire Department the fire caused over $100,000 worth of damage to the building. 

Belchertown, Northampton, Pelham, and Hadley all assisted Amherst in extinguishing the fire. 

Nelson said one resident was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation and burns after being found in a third floor bedroom. The victim’s injuries were non-life threatening. 

The fire department said the apartment building consists of six apartments with 20 residents, most of which are UMass students.  

The residents were able to make it out of the building safely due to smoke detectors. 

Residents without a place to stay were offered lodging at the Campus Hotel Sunday night, and students were offered lodging at the North Village Apartments through graduation on May 11.

The fire department said members of the Amherst Fire Department Fire Investigation Unit and the Massachusetts State Police Fire Investigation Unit investigated the fire, but the results are undetermined at this time. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation
LIVE NOW /
Watch 22News at 10:00 p.m. on The CW Springfield

Trending Stories

Love Your Pet

More Love Your Pet