Oven on overnight causes fire at Johnny’s Tavern in Amherst

Hampshire County

AMHERST, Mass. (WWLP) – Crews worked to put out a fire at Johnny’s Tavern in Amherst Saturday morning.

Amherst Assistant Fire Chief Lindsay Stromgren told 22News, around 9:25 a.m., a bystander called crews to Johnny’s Tavern located on 30 Boltwood Walk for a report of a large amount of smoke coming from the roof. A minute after, Stromgren said a fire alarm box within the restaurant detected the smoke and called the fire department as well.

When crews arrived, they saw smoke coming from the roof and ventilator. Stromgren said the commercial oven that was left on overnight to slow cook ribs caught on fire and flames extended into the kitchen. There were no injuries nor structure damaged reported.

When 22News crew arrived at the area, the fire was already put out, however, fire personnel was still present.

Berkshire gas shut off natural gas to the business. The towns health inspector evaluated what needed to be cleans before reopening.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on WWLP.com | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today