Two people were life-flighted to a hospital in Boston and two others were injured in an explosion in Ware Tuesday night.
According to State Fire Marshall Spokesperson Jennifer Mieth, one of several young adults added a flammable liquid to a burn barrel outside 8 Dunham Avenue Tuesday night.
Mieth said the liquid caused a vapor explosion and ignited the clothing of several people. Four people were taken to a local hospital initially, but two were later taken to Boston by helicopter and one was taken to a hospital in Worcester.
Mieth said the fourth person was treated and released the same night.
The explosion was the second one to take place Tuesday after a man in West Springfield added a flammable liquid to an outdoor fire pit and was seriously injured.
Fire officials are warning residents never to add flammable liquids to wood stoves, fireplaces, outdoor fire pits, a barbeque, or when open burning.