Woman injured in fire at Ann Whalen Apartments in Amherst

Hampshire County

One person was injured in an apartment fire in Amherst Thursday morning.

Assistant Fire Chief Lindsay Stromgren told 22News the fire began in an apartment on the 4th floor of the Ann Whalen Apartments on Kellogg Avenue at around 4:00 a.m.

Department of Fire Services spokesperson Jennifer Mieth told 22News a woman was taken to a Boston hospital after the fire. There is no word on the severity of her injuries at this time.

*Mieth initially identified the victim as an elderly woman, but sent out a correction to report she was an ‘adult woman.’

Mieth told 22News the fire was caused by improper disposal of smoking materials. 

Residents are sheltering at the Bangs Community Center right behind the apartment building. Red Cross has been notified. We are told it could take up to 6 hours before they can return to their homes.

“Then I heard someone chopping wood and I’m saying oh boy something’s going on. I opened the doors and firemen were on our floor. He had this long thing and was pounding on of the person’s doors and said you have to get out,” said Jane Magee, an apartment resident. “It was a real fire. It finally happened. I mean after 18 years of living here. It’s not funny, it’s just overwhelming that’s all.”

Residents of the building were moved to inside the Bangs Community Center right next door to get out of the cold.

Stromgen said it will be a while until they can get back inside the apartment building, but the Red Cross has been notified. 

The apartment building is owned by the Amherst Housing Authority. The housing authority’s website says that there are 80 apartments in the building. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on WWLP.com | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation
22News Morning Newscast

Trending Stories

Donate Today