WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Monday is Salute to West Springfield Day at The Big E fairgrounds to celebrate those living closest to the fair.
People came to the fair prepared for the rain, they brought out their umbrellas and ponchos and were ready to enjoy the food, games, and entertainment that the Big E has to offer.
Roger Carillo from Connecticut says he comes to Big E every year and not even the rain could stop him from going on Monday, “We were prepared for it, most of the things we do are inside anyways, we don’t do any of the rides so its still enjoyable.”
The Big E honors specific places around western Massachusetts on certain days for their “salute” days. This is the first of a series of local days honoring western Massachusetts cities and towns. The fair will feature performances from high school bands.
In addition to West Springfield Day, Monday’s musical performances will include Street Drum Corps, Humble Pie Legacy, and O-Town.
It will be cloudy skies Monday with showers and downpours continuing into the afternoon. The Big E offers more than 40 buildings to stay dry in as well as the following ideas to do between the rain:
- Visit the New England Center to see Creative Arts demos, exhibits and to eat a creampuff.
- Catch a show, starting at 11am, under the cover of the Court of Honor Stage, sponsored by Mattress Firm.
- Grab lunch from a food vendor and have a seat in the Coliseum.
- Walk around the 3-acre Better Living Center, Young Building or Farm-A-Rama.
- Head over to Storrowton Village and tour its historic buildings and blacksmith shop. Wander into Craft Common and the Shops at Storrowton.
- Stroll through the buildings on the Avenue of States and see all that New England has to offer.
- Duck into the ESE: A Walk Through History exhibit to learn about The Big E’s past 100+ years.
What are this year’s Special and State Days?
Walk through one of the State Buildings and visit their exhibits or watch the Daily Parade, which honors each day in a special way.
The 2023 special and state days are as follows:
- Friday, September 15 – Be A Kid For A Day/Military Appreciation Day
- Saturday, September 16 – 4-H & FFA Day/Maine Day
- Sunday, September 17 – Storrowton Day
- Monday, September 18 – Salute to West Springfield
- Tuesday, September 19 – Rhode Island Day/Salute to Holyoke
- Wednesday, September 20 – Connecticut Day
- Thursday, September 21 – Massachusetts Day
- Friday, September 22 – New Hampshire Day
- Saturday, September 23 – Vermont Day
- Sunday, September 24 – Grange Day
- Monday, September 25 – Salute to Springfield
- Tuesday, September 26 – Salute to Chicopee
- Wednesday, September 27 – Salute to Agawam
- Thursday, September 28- Salute to Westfield
- Friday, September 29 – Harvest New England Day
- Saturday, September 30 – Hooplandia Day
- Sunday, October 1 – Salute to Special Olympics
It was a huge weekend in the fair’s return, opening day saw 86,212 visitors, with 95,541 more turning up on Saturday, and 91,287 on Sunday. The Big E runs through October 1st.
WWLP-22News, an NBC affiliate, began broadcasting in March 1953 providing local news, network, syndicated, and local programming to western Massachusetts. Follow 22News on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.