CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – The 22News Storm Team has issued a Weather Alert for the threat of scattered afternoon and evening thunderstorms that could be severe with heavy rain, gusty winds, lightning, and hail.
The heat and humidity return on Tuesday with highs around 90 degrees and dew points in the upper 60s to near 70. A breeze out of the south around 10-15 mph throughout the day.
Scattered showers and thunderstorms are likely to develop during the afternoon and evening. Some storms could become severe with heavy rain, gusty winds, and small hail. The timing of the storms will be 3 p.m. – 10 p.m. Best chance of severe weather will be 4 p.m – 8 p.m.
Storms often bring heavy rain that can lead to flash flooding. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Never attempt to drive through a flooded road, 1 foot of water can float vehicles and 2 feet of rushing water can carry most vehicles including SUVs away.
- Never try and drive around a barricade.
- Across western Massachusetts, there are some areas that are prone to flooding including valley locations, low-lying areas, and underpasses. Always remember to turn around don’t drown.
The 22News Storm Team Weather Line: 413-377-22WX
Download the 22News Storm Team Weather App
The 22News Storm Team app is customizable and can be set to give you updates specific to where you are or where your home is.
- Live interactive radar with many layering options lets you track the storms near you and any approaching risks
- Alerts for severe weather go to your home screen with audio alert
- The most accurate hour-by-hour forecast for the next day and week ahead for Southern New England
- The latest video forecasts from the 22News Storm Team
- Current weather conditions for western Massachusetts and anywhere in the United States
- Set multiple custom locations or “follow me” mode to bring all weather forecasts, alerts, radar, and more to wherever you are or any locations you frequent
- Active closings and delays for western Massachusetts
- Detailed 7 Day Forecast gives you the most accurate and in-depth weather information for the full week ahead
- Latest weather discussion from local expert meteorologists of the 22News Storm Team