SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – The Tornado Warning has been canceled for east central Franklin County.
Power outages are reported in Warwick, Erving, and Wendell according to MEMA.
- Wendell: Trees are down on power lines on Montague Road and Wendell Road
- Montague: Large tree down on house and car
- Warwick: Tree and wires down on Quarry Road, tree down on Route 2
- Orange Airport: 58MPH wind
- Erving: Route 2 is closed from multiple trees and wires down
- Orange: Multiple trees down on Holtshire Road and Dukakis Drive
VIDEO: Tree and power lines down in Warwick
A Severe Thunderstorm Watch is in effect for all of western Massachusetts until 8:00 p.m. Thursday night. The greatest risk for Thursday’s storms is for damaging wind, as well as frequent lightning. There is also a risk of some hail.
A Heat Advisory is also in effect for eastern Hampden, Hampshire, and Franklin Counties until 8:00 p.m. Thursday for heat index values that will make it feel around 100 degrees.
The scattered storms will move through the Pioneer Valley during the afternoon. The best chance for storms happens from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. It will continue to be hot and humid on Thursday. High temperatures will be in the low to mid-90s.
Storms often bring heavy rain that can lead to flash flooding. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Never attempt to drive through a flooded road, 1 foot of water can float vehicles and 2 feet of rushing water can carry most vehicles including SUVs away.
- Never try and drive around a barricade.
- Across western Massachusetts, there are some areas that are prone to flooding including valley locations, low-lying areas, and underpasses. Always remember to turn around.
The 22News Storm Team Weather Line: 413-377-22WX
Download the 22News Storm Team Weather App
The 22News Storm Team app is customizable and can be set to give you updates specific to where you are or where your home is.
- Live interactive radar with many layering options lets you track the storms near you and any approaching risks
- Alerts for severe weather go to your home screen with an audio alert
- The most accurate hour-by-hour forecast for the next day and week ahead for Southern New England
- The latest video forecasts from the 22News Storm Team
- Current weather conditions for western Massachusetts and anywhere in the United States
- Set multiple custom locations or “follow me” mode to bring all weather forecasts, alerts, radar, and more to wherever you are or any locations you frequent
- Active closings and delays for western Massachusetts
- Detailed 7-Day Forecast gives you the most accurate and in-depth weather information for the full week ahead
- Latest weather discussion from local expert meteorologists of the 22News Storm Team