Man accused in hospital hacking ends 100-day hunger strike

News
Hacking Charge Hunger Strike_488069

This Feb. 16, 2015 photograph provided by Terri Barach shows her son-in-law Martin Gottesfeld in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Gottesfeld, who acknowledges he attacked the computer network at world-renowned Boston children’s hospital in 2014, costing it hundreds of thousands of dollars, is unapologetic and now waging a hunger strike in prison as he awaits trial. (Terri […]

BOSTON (AP) — A Massachusetts man awaiting trial in the 2014 hacking of a hospital’s computer network says he is ending a hunger strike after 100 days.

Martin Gottesfeld, who acknowledges he attacked the computer network at Boston Children’s Hospital, was waging a hunger strike from prison to bring attention to the treatment of troubled youths by medical institutions and by prosecutors he considers overzealous.

In a statement read by his wife outside Boston Court House on Wednesday, 32-year-old Gottesfeld said he is ending his hunger strike to “continue to fight and defend those who cannot defend themselves.”

Gottesfeld has previously said he orchestrated the attack on the hospital to protest the treatment of Justina Pelletier, a Connecticut teenager who was at the center of a custody dispute based on conflicting medical diagnoses.

___

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories