Fire caused by charging hoverboard forces window escape

Massachusetts

WAREHAM, Mass. (AP) — A house blaze in Massachusetts that forced a woman and baby to escape through a window is being blamed on a charging hoverboard.

Authorities say the woman called 911 from the Wareham house early Saturday and said she was trapped in the house with the baby. The operator instructed her to climb out of the window with the infant, officials said.

Firefighters went to the scene and found that the mother and baby had made it safely out of the house. The woman threw pillows out of the first-floor window, put the baby on the pillows, and climbed out, officials said.

Authorities say the fire was started by the charging hoverboard in the kitchen. Firefighters were able to keep the fire contained to the kitchen, officials said.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories