BOSTON, Mass. (WWLP)– Open enrollment for health insurance through the Massachusetts Health Connector is usually begins in November, but the state also allows for special enrollment if you or a family member experiences a qualifying event.
If you or a family member is in need of health coverage enrollment is available year round if you meet these qualfications:
- You qualify for MassHealth.
- You now qualify for a ConnectorCare plan through the Health Connector after not having qualified in the past, or after applying for the first time.
- You are applying for dental coverage.
- You are a member of a federally recognized tribe or Alaska Native shareholder.
- You have a waiver from the Office of Patient Protection
A Special Enrollment Period is available for persons after a 60 day period following certain qualifying events that involve a change in family status or loss of other health coverage:
- Getting married.
- Change in household dependents. Birth or adoption of a child, receiving a child into foster care, placing a child for adoption or foster care, or court-ordered care of a child.
- Qualifying for ConnectorCare, after not applying or qualifying for it in the past
- Losing minimum essential coverage. You may qualify for a special enrollment period if you lose health coverage for a reason other than not paying premiums or because of fraud.
- Change in residency, such as a permanent move to Massachusetts, gains access to new plans as a result of a permanent move within the state, or release from jail or prison.
- Is an American Indian or Alaska Native, as defined by section 4 of the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act. Such an individual may enroll in a health or dental plan or change from one plan to another once a month even if the open enrollment period is over.
- Becomes a lawfully present individual but you were not lawfully present in the U.S. before.
- Was mistakenly enrolled or not enrolled in a Health Connector health or dental plan due to an error, misrepresentation, or inaction on the part of the Health Connector or the Department of Health and Human Services, or its instrumentalities, as determined by the Health Connector.
- Other exceptional circumstances
If you are already enrolled in coverage through the Health Connector:
- Household income change resulting in you being eligible or ineligible for help paying for your insurance. For example, if you are already enrolled in coverage and your income goes down, you may be able to get extra help, like an Advance Premium Tax Credit.
- Change in ConnectorCare plan types that you qualify for.
For more information with help on enrolling you can schedule a video or phone appointment online with a MassHealth representative using the MassHealth Appointment Scheduling Tool. There are walk-in centers where a appointment is not needed:
- Boston: 133 Portland Street, 1st Floor, Boston- M-F 9am-5pm
- Springfield: 88 Industry Avenue, Springfield- M-F 9am-5pm
- Worcester: 146 Main Street, Suite 201/202, Worcester- M-F 9am-5pm