CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – After a break, with temperatures that were in the low to mid 80s, the heat and humidity are coming back.
A Heat Advisory is in effect from 11 a.m. Thursday – 8 p.m. Friday, for Hampden, Hampshire, & Franklin Counties.
The average high temperature for this time of year at Westover Air Reserve Base in Chicopee is 83 degrees and our average low temperature is 62 degrees.
The heat will be moving in over the next couple of days that have been over the middle of the country. The reason for that is the jet stream will be moving farther to the north allowing the heat and humidity to move into New England.
Thursday will be a mostly sunny, hot and humid day with highs in the mid to upper 90s. The heat index will make it feel like it’s over 100 degrees. Thursday’s record high temperature at Westover Air Reserve Base in Chicopee is 95 degrees, set in 1944. That record could be tied or broken.
Friday is looking like another hot and humid day with highs in the lower 90s. There will be a chance for showers and thunderstorms, especially during the afternoon.
There are some precautions you can take to help you deal with the heat and humidity. Wear lightweight/light-colored clothing, drink plenty of water, don’t leave children or pets in the car, and stay in air conditioning, especially if you have any health issues.
The 22News Storm Team app is customizable and can be set to give you updates specific to where you are or where your home is. With WWLP mobile apps, you can be in the know, but choose to focus and limit your notifications to what you care about.
- Live interactive radar with many layering options lets you track the storms near you and any approaching risks
- Alerts for severe weather go to your home screen with audio alert
- The most accurate hour-by-hour forecast for the next day and week ahead for Southern New England
- The latest video forecasts from the 22News Storm Team
- Current weather conditions for western Massachusetts and anywhere in the United States
- Set multiple custom locations or “follow me” mode to bring all weather forecasts, alerts, radar, and more to wherever you are or any locations you frequent
- Active closings and delays for western Massachusetts
- Detailed 7 Day Forecast gives you the most accurate and in-depth weather information for the full week ahead
- Latest weather discussion from local expert meteorologists of the 22News Storm Team