NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (WWLP) – A fire at a Northampton home shut down a portion of Route 66 Thursday morning.
The fire happened at a home on Westhampton Road, not far from the Westhampton town line. Firefighters arriving to the home found heavy smoke from the chimney and on one side of the structure. A fire was located in the furnace and was quickly extinguished. The Northampton Fire Department says the residents will be able to return to their home but their oil burner has to be replaced.
Northampton firefighters said the fire alarms in the home and the residents not storing any combustible materials near their furnace helped prevent a worse fire.
The Easthampton, Hadley and South Deerfield fire departments assisted in helping Northampton firefighters with the incident.
Route 66 was shut down for about an hour while firefighters worked.