SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – The traffic plan for MGM Springfield’s Grand Opening on Friday August 24 has been released.
Road closures are scheduled to begin at 4:00 a.m. that day. This includes:
- Main Street from Court Street / Bruce Landon Way to Union Street
- State Street from MGM Way to Dwight Street
- Union Street from Main Street to East Columbus Ave. – business access will be allowed.
- Stockbridge Street from Main Street to Willow Street
- Willow Street from State Street to Union Street – Access to Apartments and CHC via Park St. will be maintained
- Park St. will be closed at Main St. access
These closures are expected to end at approximately 2:00 p.m. opening day.
Starting at 6 a.m. on Friday August 24, Exit 6 on both I-91 North and South will be closed. The ramps are expected to reopen by 4:00 p.m. that day.
Parking will be limited on streets in downtown Springfield for opening weekend. No parking will be allowed on the following streets from 4:00 a.m. Friday, August 24 to 10 p.m. Sunday, August 26:
- West Side Main Street – between Boland Way and Court St.
- North Side Court Street – between Main St. and City Hall Place
- South Side State Street – between East Columbus Ave. and Dwight St.
- Stockbridge St. – Both Sides between Main St. and Willow St.
- Cross St. – Both Sides from Main St. to Willow St.
- Willow St. – Both Sides – State St. to Union St.
- Main St. – Both Sides from State St. to Williams St.
- East Columbus Ave. – East Side entire length
No parking will be allowed on the following streets from 4 a.m. Friday, August 24 to 10 a.m. Saturday, August 25:
- Wilcox St. – Both Sides – East Columbus Ave. to Main St.
- Williams St. – Both Sides – East Columbus Ave. to Main St.
Patrons are being strongly encouraged to park for free at The Big E fairgrounds and use the free shuttle to MGM Springfield. The shuttle service will begin at 6 a.m. and last until 8:00 a.m. Saturday. The service is scheduled to run approximately every 5-10 minutes, and is handicap-accessible.
MGM Springfield’s parking garage opens at 11 a.m. for the casino’s grand opening. Keep in mind there may be traffic delays getting into the garage.
Once the road closures are no longer in effect, the new Loop bus system can also pick you up from various parts of downtown Springfield and bring you to MGM Springfield. Stops along The Loop’s route include the Basketball Hall of Fame and Union Station.
Overhead signs on I-91, I-291 and the Mass Pike will remind drivers of the casino’s opening and its traffic impacts 7-10 days in advance of the big day.
Digital signs will also be in place throughout downtown Springfield to inform drivers of city road impacts 7-10 days in advance of the grand opening.
The casino is scheduled to open at approximately 11:00 a.m.
Festivities begin at 10:30 a.m. with a procession of MGM employees, construction workers, Budweiser Clydesdales, and other surprise entertainment.
The procession starts at State and Main Streets and ends at the entrance to MGM Springfield.