TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – MacDill Air Force Base was temporarily placed on lockdown Friday morning while authorities investigated unfounded reports of an armed person nearby.
People on the base received an alert regarding the lockdown around 7 a.m. Friday. MacDill officials later said the lockdown had been lifted.
According to police in St. Petersburg, a 54-year-old man had reportedly armed himself with a gun and went to the apartment of his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend on Gandy Boulevard, and vandalized their door and a vehicle. Police said they got word he may be near the base, but the man was found in Hernando County.
He is now in the custody of the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office.
Further information was not immediately available.
- Massachusetts municipalities weigh risks, rewards of reopening facilities
- Trump’s former campaign manager hospitalized in Florida after threats to harm himself
- Joe Montana, wife stop woman who tried to kidnap 9-month-old grandchild from their home
- Bombshell Trump tax revelation could tarnish business mogul image that fueled his rise
- Tiny airborne particles may pose a big coronavirus problem