SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – One person is dead and a police officer was taken to the hospital after an officer-involved shooting on Genessee Street.

At 8:30 a.m. Sunday, two Springfield police officers were called to the area of Liberty Street and Cass Street for a report of a man who had pulled out a knife on another person. Police report that they found the suspect on Genessee Street, but according to Springfield police, when the officers tried to investigate further, the suspect stabbed one of the officers in the face. When the suspect attempted to charge the officers again, the stabbed officer fired two shots, hitting the suspect.

According to the Hampden County District Attorney’s Spokesperson Jim Leydon, the suspect is identified as 23-year-old Orlando Taylor of Springfield.

The officer who was stabbed with serious injuries has since been released from the hospital. According to a statement sent to 22News from Springfield Police Spokesperson Ryan Walsh, the officer is a military veteran with nine years at the Springfield Police Department. He has received numerous accolades for life saving measures.

“No officer wants to be involved in this situation. Nobody comes into work on a Sunday rainy, icy morning that they would be involved in this but I am so proud of all officers involved who acted professionally and did as they were trained,” said Commissioner Cheryl Clapprood.

The two officers involved have been placed on paid administrative leave. The incident was captured on both officers’ body-worn cameras. Commissioner Claprood said the department plans to release the footage once the investigation is over. 22News has filed a public records request for that footage as well.

The Hampden District Attorney’s Office is conducting an investigation into the use of force and whether criminal charges are warranted.. The DA’s office will review body worn camera footage, any private video recording systems, witness statements, autopsy and toxicology reports, as well as 911 call and dispatch logs.

The findings will be released to the public into what led to a police officer’s use of deadly force, resulting in a death. 22News is following the story and will provide updates as soon as they become available.