(WFLA/NBC) – West Hollywood’s city council unanimously approved a proposal Monday night that would urge the City of Los Angeles to remove President Trump’s star from the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
A West Hollywood City Council report on the resolution lists numerous reasons for the matter, including the separation of children from their parents at the border, the denial of climate change, and denial of Russian meddling in the 2016 election.
“Proud to stand with my community & my colleagues who unanimously supported the call to remove @realDonaldTrump’s star from the Hollywood Walk of Fame,” tweeted West Hollywood City Council member Lindsey Horvath after the vote.
The West Hollywood City Council does not have jurisdiction of the star which is on city of Los Angeles property, USA Today reports.
It is likely Trump’s star will remain on the Walk of Fame. According to USA Today, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce has not removed the stars of other disgraced actors.
“Once a star has been added to the walk, it is considered a part of the historic fabric of the Hollywood Walk of Fame,” Leron Gubler told USA Today in 2015, when he was president and chief executive of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce.
Trump’s star was unveiled in 2007. It has been vandalized numerous times and completely destroyed twice.
The most recent destruction came in late July when 24-year-old Austin Mikel Clay allegedly took a pickaxe to it. He was booked on a felony vandalism charge and jailed with $20,000 bail. He has since been released from jail.
“I think it’s important to take a stand and take it as far as we can. and it might be important to have a conversation about whose stars we want on the boulevard,” said Clay, who could face up to three years in jail if he’s convicted.
Trump’s star was also previously vandalized by James Otis with a sledgehammer and pickax, days before the November 2016 election. Otis pleaded no contest to the felony. He was sentenced to community labor and ordered to pay $4,400 for the damage.
Proud to stand with my community & my colleagues who unanimously supported the call to remove @realDonaldTrump‘s star from the Hollywood Walk of Fame. (Shout-out to @ourWEHO who led the way.) https://t.co/ERbjaeBgwh #WeHo @meister4weho @JohnDuran— Lindsey P Horvath (@LindseyPHorvath) August 7, 2018