South Carolina man dies after firework explodes in his hands

News
fireworks_67426-842137440

CHERAW, SC (WBTW) -A Cheraw man died after a firework exploded in his hands, hitting him in the chest, police confirm.

A press release from Cheraw Police Chief Keith Thomas says officers were called to the Dizzy Gillespie apartment complex around 9:50 p.m. Wednesday night for a call that a man had been hit in the upper torso with fireworks.

Officers on scene found a woman performing CPR on the victim. EMS immediately took over and transported the man to McLeod Health Cheraw.

Chief Thomas says the victim, identified as 24-year-old M.C. Gallion III, was holding a cylinder tube in his hands in an attempt to discharge an aerial type firework. The fireworks exploded, hitting Gallion in the chest.

Gallion died at the hospital, Chief Thomas confirms.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Editor's Pick

More Editor's Pick