SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – MGM Springfield is days away from opening its doors. 22News is working for you with how to get there and where to park on Opening Day and every day after that.
Opening Day: Friday August 24
- Opening Day procession begins at 10:30 a.m.
- Parking garage opens at 11:00 a.m.
- Casino opens at 11:00 a.m.
The following roads are scheduled to be closed from 4:00 a.m. to approximately 2:00 p.m. on Friday 8/24:
- Main Street from Court Street / Bruce Landon Way to Union Street
- State Street from MGM Way to Dwight Street
- Union Street from Main Street to East Columbus Ave. – business access will be allowed.
- Stockbridge Street from Main Street to Willow Street
- Willow Street from State Street to Union Street – Access to Apartments and CHC via Park St. will be maintained
- Park St. will be closed at Main St. access
The following closure will be in place from 8:00 a.m. Friday 8/24 to 10 p.m. Sunday 8/26:
Cross Street from Main Street to Willow Street
Starting at 6 a.m. on 8/24, Exit 6 on both I-91 North and South will be closed. The ramps are expected to reopen by 4:00 p.m. that day.
Parking will be limited on streets in downtown Springfield for opening weekend. No parking will be allowed on the following streets from 4:00 a.m. Friday 8/24 to 10 p.m. Sunday 8/26:
- West Side Main Street – between Boland Way and Court St.
- North Side Court Street – between Main St. and City Hall Place
- South Side State Street – between East Columbus Ave. and Dwight St.
- Stockbridge St. – Both Sides between Main St. and Willow St.
- Cross St. – Both Sides from Main St. to Willow St.
- Willow St. – Both Sides – State St. to Union St.
- Main St. – Both Sides from State St. to Williams St.
- East Columbus Ave. – East Side entire length
No parking will be allowed on the following streets from 4 a.m. Friday 8/24 to 10 a.m. Saturday 8/25:
- Wilcox St. – Both Sides – East Columbus Ave. to Main St.
- Williams St. – Both Sides – East Columbus Ave. to Main St.
So, where can I park?
The Big E: On Opening Day, visitors are strongly encouraged to park for free at The Big E fairgrounds and take a free express shuttle to MGM Springfield.
The shuttle will run approximately every 5-10 minutes beginning at 6:00 a.m. Friday 8/24 to 8:00 a.m. Saturday 8/25.
All shuttles are handicap accessible.
MGM Springfield Parking Garage: On Opening Day, the parking garage opens at 11:00 a.m. The entrance to the garage is on East Columbus Avenue.
Please refer to the ramp and road closures above.
Additional downtown parking options: Civic Center Garage, 41 Harrison Avenue; I-91 South Garage, 1620 East Columbus Avenue; I-91 North Garage, 1870 East Columbus Avenue; Union Station Garage, 1771 Main Street; Tower Square Parking Garage, 1500 Main Street; Monarch Parking Garage, 1414 Main Street.
Alternative ways to get there
The Loop: On Opening Day, patrons will be able to take the new free public transportation service The Loop to MGM Springfield after the scheduled road closures (above) reopen on Friday.
After Opening Day, The Loop will run Wednesdays through Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., starting at Union Station. The Loop makes stops at MGM Springfield, Springfield Armory
Uber: To get dropped off at MGM Springfield, type in 1 MGM Way into the app. Drivers will be directed to drop you off at the Valet parking area.
To get picked up from MGM Springfield, request an Uber and head to the bus drop-off area to wait for your driver.
PVTA Bus: Click here for the bus schedules.
CT rail: Take the CT rail Hartford line to Union Station and get on The Loop (after roads reopen) or walk to MGM Springfield. Click here for fares and schedules.