According to the City of Kannapolis, Sgt. Dot Cole is the oldest living Marine.
She joined the Marine Corps during World War II in 1943.
Sgt. Cole completed her training at Camp Lejeune and was then stationed at Quantico. City officials say she primarily served in an administrative role.
Last month, another North Carolina woman celebrated a monumental birthday. Hester Ford turned 116, making her the oldest living person in the United States.
GET THE LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX8.COM:
- Local polling locations continuing to see increase in early voters
- Trunk or Treat could be safer alternative during COVID-19 pandemic
- National prescription drug take-back day resounding success
- Chase Dowling wins Call Before You Dig 81 Tri Track Open Modified Series race at Stafford
- Americans sweet on chocolate, baked goods during pandemic, study finds