Police: 1 shot, killed after dispute at Opry Mills Mall in Nashville, gunman in custody


NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A 22-year-old man has died after he was shot during a dispute at Opry Mills Mall Thursday afternoon.  

It happened at the mall located at 433 Opry Mills Drive just before 2 p.m.  

Police said words were exchanged between the men before two shots were fired inside the mall.

The victim, identified as Demarco Churchwell, suffered a neck injury and was taken to TriStar Skyline Medical Center in critical condition. He died a short time later.  

After the shooting, police said the suspect –  Justin Golson – left the mall and walked to the nearby ticket booth at the Opry House where he surrendered his gun and told someone to call the police.  

A retired California police officer was at the booth buying tickets and took possession of the gun. He told the accused gunman to lay on the grass and wait for police.  

Golson was taken into custody without incident.  

Police said the shooting appears to be the result of an ongoing dispute between the men.  

“Indication this has been festering and it wasn’t a spur of the moment thing,” police spokesman Don Aaron said.  

Police said there were several people who witnessed the shooting or provided aid to the victim. They, along with the suspect, will be interviewed by police.  

A pregnant woman inside the mall at the time said she thought she was going to die. 

“I thought I was going to die and that I wasn’t going to see my husband or daughter again. My daughter is a year-and-a-half. I thought she was going to grow up without a mom,” the woman said tearfully. 

The mall, Nashville’s largest shopping center, has since been cleared. A heavy police presence remains at the scene. 

“The mall itself is safe,” Aaron said.  

Several people inside the mall at the time took to social media and reported hiding in storage and bathrooms after the shots were fired.  

One tweet read, “There’s an active shooting situation at the mall I’m at. We heard gunshots and screams and everyone started running. Now, we are hiding in the storage room at Forever 21. This is terrifying. I can’t stop shaking.”  

Another tweet read, “Locked in a bathroom at the mall… in a store… active shooter in the mall.”  

A third tweet said in part, “Someone started shooting in the middle of Opry Mills… currently locked in the back of the Express Outlet…” 

The nearby Opryland Hotel was placed on a brief lockdown as a precaution. No one was allowed in or out of the hotel during that time.  

The McGavock Pike ramp, off of Briley Parkway, is closed to motorists and is not expected to reopen until at least 8 p.m. 

Opry Mills Mall will remain closed the remainder of Thursday.  

The shopping center released a statement, saying:

“Opry Mills management would like to take a moment to thank the swift and courageous response of the Nashville Police Department with respect to a situation that took place earlier today on our property. We are cooperating fully with investigators and offering any assistance we can. We would direct any additional questions regarding today’s incident to law enforcement.” 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Donate Today