Major League Soccer shutting down for 30 days due to coronavirus

Sports

FILE – In this July 8, 2017, file photo, fans cheer during a CONCACAF Gold Cup soccer match between Panama and the United States, in Nashville, Tenn. The Major League Soccer 2017 expansion tour continues this week with official league visits to North Carolina. Nashville seemed to make a strong case last week when MLS Commissioner Don Garber went to the city in conjunction with the U.S. national team’s Gold Cup match against Panama. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey, File)

Coronavirus Resources from the CDC

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Major League Soccer is shutting down for 30 days because of the coronavirus, delaying the home opener for the expansion team co-owned by former England captain David Beckham.

“Our clubs were united today in the decision to temporarily suspend our season — based on the advice and guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Public Health Agency of Canada and other public health authorities,” MLS Commissioner Don Garber said in a statement Thursday.

Inter Miami, co-owned by Beckham and Jorge Mas, had been scheduled to play its home opener Saturday. MLS started its season on Feb. 29 and each of the 26 teams has played two league matches.

Mas told players and coaches late Thursday morning, then held a news conference at the team’s temporary stadium.

Mas says he expects the full 34-match season to be played.


More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

NBA Stats

Trending Stories

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases

Coronavirus News

More Coronavirus

Donate Today