FINAL SCORE: 4-0 Thunderbirds
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Another first for the city of firsts! The Springfield Thunderbirds are heading to the Calder Cup Finals for the first time in franchise history! And they did it on home ice shutting out the Laval Rocket 4-0!
22News was at the Mass Mutual Center all of Wednesday evening. Thunderbirds fans are flying high Wednesday following this historic win.
The Richard F. Canning Trophy, which is awarded to the AHL’s Eastern Conference champion, is coming back to Springfield for the first time in more than three decades. The Thunderbirds beat the Laval Rocket Wednesday night 4-0 in game 7 and are now headed to the Calder Cup Finals.
It was all about the offense Wednesday night: getting on the board first.
The Thunderbirds will now play the Chicago Wolves in the Finals. Chicago earned their eighth league finals appearance in their 28-year history – and became the first team since the 2010 Hershey Bears to reach back-to-back finals.
Here’s what fans had to say as Springfield heads to the finals for the first time since 1991
“That would be amazing I have never experienced the energy at this level that we are tonight I couldn’t even imagine it was best friends, with boomers and everyone here at the MassMutual and this is absolutely amazing for the city of Springfield I’m so excited,” said Souzan Hunt of East Hartford.
Game 1 of the Calder Cup Finals begins Sunday, June 19 in Chicago. The puck drops a 3:05 p.m.
Here is the complete schedule for the Calder Cup Finals (Home games are in bold):
- Game 1: Sunday, June 19- Springfield Thunderbirds at Chicago Wolves – 4:00 P.M.
- Game 2: Monday, June 20 – Springfield Thunderbirds at Chicago Wolves – 8:00 P.M.
- Game 3: Wednesday, June 22 – Chicago Wolves at Springfield Thunderbirds – 7:05 P.M.
- Game 4: Friday, June 24 – Chicago Wolves at Springfield Thunderbirds – 7:05 P.M.
- Game 5 (if necessary): Saturday, June 25 – Chicago Wolves at Springfield Thunderbirds – 7:05 P.M.
- Game 6 (if necessary): Tuesday, June 28 – Springfield Thunderbirds at Chicago Wolves – 8:00 P.M.
- Game 7 (if necessary): Wednesday, June 29 – Springfield Thunderbirds at Chicago Wolves – 8:00 P.M.