HOLYOKE, Mass. (WWLP) – Every year, thousands of people gather in Holyoke around St. Patrick’s Day for the annual 10K Road Race and parade.
Here’s everything you need to know about attending this weekend’s events.
Friday – Runners get ready
If you have registered for the 10K run or the 2-mile walk, you’ll have to pick up your runner number/runner bib-tag and t-shirts between 3:00 and 6:00 p.m. Friday at 143 Maple Street (Race Headquarters).
Saturday – 43rd Holyoke St. Patrick’s Road Race – #HolyokeRoadRace
Registered participants have one more chance to pick up their runner number/bib-tag at 143 Maple Street from 9:00 a.m. to Noon.
- SHUTTLE SERVICE: A free shuttle service will be running from Holyoke Community College to the Road Race starting area. The first shuttle will depart HCC at 9:00 a.m. and the last will depart at 5:00 p.m. To be on time for the start of the race, get on one of the shuttles no later than 12:00 p.m.
- PARKING: If you are driving to the Road Race, you can park in downtown parking lots, parking garages, or on nearby streets- remember that parking can be somewhat difficult to find near the finish line, where there are lots of spectators.
- GETTING DROPPED OFF: If you plan on using a ride-sharing service or having a friend drive you, keep in mind there will be road closures in place. Drop off locations near the corner of Lyman and Maple Streets or Lyman and Chestnut Streets will bring you close to the starting line and celebrations.
- FREE KIDS RACE: Line-up is at 10:45 a.m., start time is at 11:00 a.m. Race start is at the intersection of Hampden and Walnut Streets
- MUMMERS CONCERT: 12:10 p.m. at the intersection of Maple and Hampden Streets
- 10K ROAD RACE: 1:00 p.m. at the beginning of Maple Street.
- WREATH LAYING at JFK MEMORIAL: 4:30 p.m. at Appleton and Sycamore Streets
- BISHOP’S MASS: 5:00 P.M. at St. Jerome’s Church on Hampden Street.
Sunday – Holyoke St. Patrick’s Day Parade – #Parade413
This western Massachusetts tradition will step off late Sunday morning, with thousands of people along the route from Northampton Street to High Street.
- ROAD CLOSURES: Road closures begin around 11:00 a.m. Massachusetts State Police MAY close I-91 Exits 15 or 16 if determined necessary.
- PARKING: Parking will be available in the municipal lots downtown on Suffolk and Dwight Streets for $5. There are also spots to park on the side streets along the parade route, but no parking is allowed along the parade route.
- THE PARADE steps off at 11:30 from the KMart Plaza on Route 5, and organizers say it can take up to three hours from the start of the parade until you see the last of the marching contingents.
The parade route runs north on Northampton Street to Beech Street –> east on Beech Street to Appleton Street –> southeast on Appleton to High Street –> north on High Street to Hampden Street.
22News will be marching in the parade. Be on the lookout for your favorite reporter, anchor, or meteorologist!
Don’t forget to send your parade photos to ReportIt@wwlp.com!