(NBC News) – Passengers aboard an Allegiant Air flight from Los Angeles to Boise had a scary experience Friday night.
There was a fuel leak on flight 331’s auxiliary motor that’s used for taxiing, an airport spokesperson said.
The fuel started leaking when the plane landed and the auxiliary motor kicked in.
Passengers smelled the fuel, according to airport officials, and the heat outside apparently produced a vapor that passengers mistook for smoke.
When the plane stopped, the passengers opened an emergency exit and tried to leave the plane via the wing.
The Boise airport rescue and fire fighter crews responded to the scene.
There were no reported injuries.