SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Winter is at our doorstep. In New England, that brings snow, wind and ice. When storms are particularly bad, the National Weather Service issues different warnings for snow and ice: like winter weather advisories, and winter storm watches and warnings.
A winter storm watch is issued in advance of a potential blizzard, heavy snow, freezing rain or heavy sleet.
A winter weather advisory is issued once the hazardous conditions are ongoing, but the snow, freezing rain and sleet aren’t expected to have as much of an impact as a winter storm warning does.
A winter storm warning is issued when a more hazardous winter weather event is imminent or occurring, and is considered a threat to life and property. A winter storm warning means accumulations of snow or ice will be higher than with a winter weather advisory.
Download the 22News Storm Team Weather App to receive live weather updates sent to your phone.
WWLP Weather App
- Live interactive radar with many layering options lets you track the storms around you
- Alerts for severe weather go to your home screen and cue an audio alert
- The most accurate hour-by-hour forecast for the next day and week ahead for western Massachusetts
- The latest video forecast from 22News Storm Team
- Current weather conditions for Western Massachusetts and anywhere in the United States
- Share the weather conditions via text message, email, Facebook or Twitter
- You can set multiple custom locations to track forecasts, alerts, radar, and more
- Closings and delays for Western Massachusetts
- News and weather headlines from WWLP 22News
- Live streaming video from WWLP-22News