The 22News Storm Team has been tracking a potential heat wave throughout the week, and by Sunday, it could feel like more than 100 degrees outside. With that in mind, local communities are taking precautions to protect their residents.
Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno and Commissioner of Health and Human Services Helen Caulton-Harris announced Wednesday that the city will be opening cooling centers from Friday to Monday.
Sarno told 22News that it is important that the city help those who are in need of assistance. Some city residents live in homes that lack air conditioning, and cooling centers provide a free place to get out of the high heat and humidity.
Many centers open at around 8:00 or 9:00 in the morning, and close during the evening hours.
Here is a listing of all of the city’s cooling centers:
- Brightwood Library, 359 Plainfield St., open Friday 9a-5p, Monday 1p-5p
- East Forest Park Library, 122 Island Pond Rd., open Friday 10a-5p, Saturday 11a-3p, Monday 1p-5p
- East Springfield Library, 21 Osborne Ter., open Friday 1p-5p, Saturday 11a-3p, Monday 1p-5p
- Forest Park Library, 380 Belmont Ave., open Friday 1p-5p, Saturday 11a-3p, Monday 1p-5p
- Indian Orchard Library, 44 Oak St., open Friday 1p-5p, Saturday 11a-3p, Monday 10a-5p
- Library Express at Pine Point, 204 Boston Rd., open Friday 1p-5p, Monday 1p-5p
- Mason Square Library, 765 State St., Friday 1p-5p, Saturday 11a-3p, Monday 1p-5p
- Sixteen Acres Library, 1187 Parker St., Friday 1p-5p, Saturday 11a-3p, Monday 1p-5p
- Clodo Concepcion Center, 1187 1/2 Parker St., Friday 9a-5p, Saturday 9a-8p, Sunday 9a-8p
- Hungry Hill Senior Center, 773 Librerty St., Friday 8a-4p, Saturday 9a-8p, Sunday 9a-8p
- Raymond A. Jordan Senior Center, 1476 Roosevelt Ave., Friday 8a-4p, Saturday 9a-8p, Sunday 9a-8p, Monday 9a-4p
- Riverview Center, 122 Clyde St., Saturday 9a-5p, Sunday 9a-5p
In New England, a “heat wave” is defined as three or more days in a row of 90-degree temperatures or higher. Right now, the 22News Storm Team is tracking a heat wave that could last more than a week. Find out what to expect and when with the 22News Storm Team 7-Day Forecast.