CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – The 22News Storm Team has issued a Weather Alert with the potential for strong or severe thunderstorms this afternoon and into the very early evening.
A Tornado Warning was in effect in south-central Hampden County until 5:30 p.m. but was canceled at around 5:10 p.m. It continues to Connecticut.
A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for Hampden county until 6:16 p.m.
A Severe Thunderstorm Watch has been issued for ALL of western Massachusetts until 9PM. We expect the severe weather risk will end in western Massachusetts by 7PM at the latest.
NOW-6PM: Best chance of severe thunderstorms. Isolated to then scattered in coverage.
5-7PM: Storms ending from northwest to southeast
Main Threats: Lightning, wind damage, and street flooding
Secondary Threats: Low hail and tornado risk, but possible
With some partial sunshine developing, we should have enough heating to develop at least some severe storms into early this evening.
Stay with the 22News Storm Team as we continue to watch today’s severe weather risk.
- Star lights recalled due to fire, shock hazards
- Endangered Brazilian monkeys get a bridge to themselves
- Utility company gives safety tips when around downed power lines, wires
- Longmeadow declares state of emergency to help with storm cleanup efforts
- Local breweries team up to join national “Black is Beautiful” campaign