TAMPA (WFLA) - Shaquille O'Neal has gone by many nicknames in his career: Superman, Diesel, even the Big Shamrock and Cactus.
But now O'Neal is getting a new title Broward County Deputy.
The 47-year-old former NBA star now was honored Friday and was announced as the department's big free agent signing as an auxiliary deputy for the Broward Sheriff Office.
O'Neal even sat down with Broward County Sheriff Gregory Tony to discuss different ways law enforcement works to keep communities safe.
O’Neal has also served as a reserve officer for several other police departments, including Doral Police, Miami Beach Police, and Golden Beach Police.
O’Neal retired from the NBA in 2011.
Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- East Longmeadow Police seeking identity of man in video
- Local high school seniors take part in all-star basketball game
- Glow in the Dark Charity Boot Camp raises money for the Herren Project
- Hotel, indoor skydiving coming to downtown Springfield
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- High schools and colleges seeing an increase in e-sport clubs
- Mueller concludes Russia-Trump probe with no new indictments
- Jimmy Carter's new milestone: Longest-lived US president
- Parkland school shooting survivor takes her own life